In what is being seen as once of the most unpredictable NFL Drafts in recent years, the Carolina Panthers are on the clock, after trading to get the number 1 overall pick.
The 2023 NFL Draft gets underway at 1am UK, Friday 28th April in Kansas City.
Here’s my one and only mock draft….
- Carolina Panthers – QB Bryce Young
Carolina made the blockbuster trade with Chicago earlier this off season to get a player they hope, to be the face of their franchise for years to come. Bryce Young is that player. A former Heisman winning quarterback and the top player in his position in this Draft class.
- Houston Texans – Edge, Will Anderson jr
Houston are in a rebuilding mode. They could easily take a QB in this position but new head coach, DeMeco Ryans has spent the past couple of years in charge of one of the best defensive fronts in football at San Francisco. Houston get things underway by claiming a player, many seasoned observers believe to be the best in this class. They start the new era by rebuilding their defense.
- Arizona Cardinals – DL Jalen Carter
It’s no secret, the Cardinals have been open to trading back from this spot for several weeks now. If they can’t find a trade partner, then they look to fortify their defensive line in a division that’s built on physicality. There’s no question about Carter’s talent, there are question marks over his effort on every snap. New HC Jonathan Gannon built a successful defensive front in Philadelphia, it’ll be his job to bring the best out of this talented rookie.
- Indianapolis Colts – QB CJ Stroud
Indianapolis will be delighted to have this pick. They are desperate to sign a franchise quarterback and after failures with veterans Carson Wentz and Matt Ryan, they opt for the Ohio State product, CJ Stroud. He has an accurate arm and shows the anticipation required to succeed in the NFL and goes in as their day 1 starter.
- Seattle Seahawks – QB Anthony Richardson
This will turn some heads. Had Jalen Carter still been available here, they almost certainly pick him but now they turn their attention to the long-term answer at QB. Richardson’s athletic playmaking ability at Florida drew lots of admirers. Accuracy is an issue but with Seattle effectively able to cut ties with veteran Geno Smith after this season, this is an ideal scenario to red shirt a talented young rookie in much the same way the Chiefs once did with Patrick Mahomes.
- Detroit Lions – CB Christian Gonzalez
Detroit traded away former 1st round pick Jeff Okudah to Atlanta a few weeks ago and here they get their replacement. Gonzalez has the size, speed and ball skills to be a success in the NFL and has been rising up teams’ Draft boards in the past few weeks
- Las Vegas Raiders – Edge Tyree Wilson
The Raiders were poor on defense for much of last season. They set about addressing that with this pick. At 6ft 6”, 275lbs he has the stature to compete physically with just about any tackle in the NFL and he knows how to hurry the quarterback – totaling 50 pressures last season for Texas Tech
- Atlanta Falcons – WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba
12 months ago, the Falcons took Drake London in the 1st round. They go back to back with 1st round picks at wide receiver by adding Smith-Njigba here. The best route runner in this class gives second year QB Desmond Ridder some big time receiving threats.
- Chicago Bears – OT Paris Johnson jr
Chicago traded out of the no. 1 overall pick with Carolina and now they can give their playmaking QB some protection upfront. At 6ft 6”, 310lbs he brings size and ability to the tackle position. A welcome pick for Justin Fields
- Philadelphia Eagles – OT Peter Skoronski
The Eagles just paid their QB and now they are protecting their investment. A lot of observers believe him to be the best offensive lineman in this class but with sub 33 inch arms he could be kicked inside to guard. Either way, Philadelphia fortifies their offensive line with this pick.
- Tennessee Titans – QB Will Levis
- Houston Texans – QB Hendon Hooker
- Green Bay Packers – WR Quentin Johnston
- New England Patriots – WR Zay Flowers
- New York Jets – OT Broderick Jones
- Washington Commanders – CB Joey Porter jr
- Pittsburgh Steelers – CB Deonte Banks
- Detroit Lions – Edge Myles Murphy
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers – S Brian Branch
- Seattle Seahawks – Edge Lukas Van Ness
- Los Angeles Chargers – TE Dalton Kincaid
- Baltimore Ravens – DL Calijah Kancey
- Minnesota Vikings – WR Jordan Addison
- Jacksonville Jaguars – OT Darnell Wright
- New York Giants – G O’Cyrus Torrence
- Dallas Cowboys – TE Michael Mayer
- Buffalo Bills – RB Bijan Robinson
- Cincinnati Bengals – TE Darnell Washington
- New Orleans Saints – DL Brian Breese
- Philadelphia Eagles – RB Jahmyr Gibbs
- Kansas City Chiefs – CB Cam Smith
- The Miami Dolphins forfeited their 1st round draft pick after being found to have violated the NFL’s “tampering” policy.